Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Plan!


So how exactly am I going to cause Riot?! My plan is not as simple as I thought it would be.  As I live in Switzerland I am restricted by some pretty archaic laws. The option of adoption is not open to me.  By law only married couples can adopt. I also can’t use a sperm donor here in Switzerland unless I am married as well.  If I need fertility treatment (which I’m really hoping I do not) I am also not able to receive that without being married.  I am so incredibly frustrated by these laws.  What I don’t want to do is simply go out and have a roll in the hay and have some strangers child. But by law, that is the only option left to me.
So what do I do?  Well, I look elsewhere. Most of the EU countries have very few sperm donations because of new laws that have eliminated anonymous donation.  By law a child who turns 18 has the right to know who his biological father is.  As you can imagine that has drastically reduced the amount of men willing to donate.  This is of course, another roadblock.  With this in mind I’ve started looking in London.  I have found a bank that has a reasonable amount of donors to choose from and is very highly respected and reputable. The problem, of course there is a problem, is that they only work with the London Fertility Clinic and therefore won’t let you inseminate yourself. So where does that leave me?  Well, it means I need to take a trip to London for an appointment with the clinic to see what the procedure is from there.  In the meantime I am focusing on loosing 45 lbs before I get pregnant. I don’t want to have additional factors for a high-risk pregnancy. There is nothing I can do about my age (37) but I can do everything I can to make my body as healthy as possible for Riot.
Having said thatI will continue to workout with Judit, my crazy trainer and start making arrangement for my trip to London.

I’m excited to share my journey with you. Wish me luck!!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe all the limitations. That is crazy to me. Good luck Pam, you will make a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! And by the way you are my first comment. As such, you will be the first person I tell if/when I get pregnant. =0)

      Delete
  2. So are you headed to Denmark or London for a donor and procedures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you headed to Denmark or London?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to go the Denmark route. I'll know once I've had my consultation with them. But first and foremost I have to find an OB who is open to this idea.

      Delete